Customer Support Engineer
Travis CI is looking for a support engineer to manage our frontline support and help our customers.
Support engineers help our customers with our hosted platforms for both open source and private projects.Our support requests involve build problems across multiple programming languages and build environments, with solutions oftentimes focusing on technical problems with programming languages, build tooling and their ecosystems.
The role of a customer support engineer in our team also includes reviewing support tickets, feedback requests and GitHub issues regularly to help us improve our product and our documentation.
On any given day, you might be working on projects and problems like these:
- Talking with customers in our support conversations, debugging problems together with them and finding out the best .travis.yml configuration for them
- Communicating with customers about product features and subscription setup/management questions
- Recommending Travis CI (continuous integration) environments and workflows for users to try out and adapt
- Identifying Travis CI product improvements and reporting them to the rest of the team
- Improving and writing guides to share knowledge among customers and teammates
- Contributing your expertise in written communications through supporting your developer teammates who are on-duty for their support week as part of our developer support rotation
Our main office is in Berlin, Germany and we have customers and a team spread across the globe. Whether you are onsite, or remote, we are passionate about supporting you as a member of our distributed team. Preferably, you are located somewhere between UTC -7 and UTC -4.
You like working in a team and learning new processes and technologies. You enjoy talking to and helping people, anticipating their needs and supporting them with suggestions and solutions. You are reflective about the impact choices have on customer’s experience, and the role you have facilitating customer’s interactions with Travis CI as a product and a company.
You want to help us shape our customer success environment. You are full of ideas and love to use them to help people do their jobs better and more efficiently. We foster a culture of continuous improvement and we'd like you to be an essential part of it.
You probably have a background that includes some of following:
- Some level of knowledge of any programming language and experience troubleshooting common development processes, services and tools
- Familiarity with how to clone a git repository, commit and push a change
- Experience using the command line in either Linux or macOS
- Excellent problem-solving and logic skills, as well as an ability to speak and write both precisely and accurately
- You’re curious to learn new things about customers and technologies
- Ability to identify and relay relevant feedback based on customer trends
- Strong, fluent written and spoken English
Ultimately, we are looking for individuals who can and want to make a contribution to our constantly growing and evolving company. Whether you have only a few or all of the elements of a candidate’s background we identified, we’d love to hear if you think Travis CI might be a good fit for you!
Our core company values are openness, diversity, collaboration, and empathy so we want to support you as human and an individual through the benefits we offer. These include:
- Location/Travel: Being a distributed team, you can work from wherever you want. You don’t have to go to Berlin, but we’re happy to fly you in for visits. And, the whole company gets together once a year for a company off-site.
- Flexible working hours: You choose your working hours. We understand life comes with responsibilities and complications. We have families and personal lives, and we encourage all our employees to spend time tending to them.
- Time-off: You will have a minimum of 25 days off - and you must take all of them. We know things at work can be busy and exciting, but want to help make sure you are happy and healthy, and time away is important for that. You can find more information about our minimum vacation policy here http://www.paperplanes.de/2014/12/10/from-open-to-minimum-vacation-policy.html.
- Health Benefits: Your health insurance is partially covered by Travis CI. We’ll generally split about 50/50 between employer and employee, with up to a €250 employer contribution, no matter where you are. We’re happy to share more details on the specific healthcare options during the interview process.
- Parental Leave: At Travis CI, we recognize the physical, emotional, and psychological demands of both childbirth and childcare and consider that a period of leave is important for the well-being of both parent and child. Therefore, we provide a fully paid leave with additional benefits for parents of all genders as well as adoptive parents and those in surrogacy arrangements.
- Professional and Personal Growth: You’ll learn and grow at conferences, we’ll cover your travel and ticket costs according to our individual conference budgets. We’ll also ship you a Kindle and give you a book allowance so you can take time off and read.